There is no secret in scientific circles that many diseases come about as a consequence of an imbalance in the arrangement of an individual's gut flora. Scientists cannot agree on whether these diseases and health complaints are the consequence or the actual cause of illnesses. So far, the scientific data looks at the use of probiotics and prebiotics in the therapeutic manipulation of the gut in digestive complaints to include the following:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBS)
- Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Atopic and allergic diseases
- Diarrhea (both infectious and antibiotic-associated)
Manipulation of the Microbiota Using Probiotics.
Grimm V, Riedel CU